Zesty Arrabbiata Sauce over Rigatoni
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoons minced fresh flat leaf parsley (optional)
- 8 ounces cooked rigatoni or whole wheat fettuccine
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese (optional)
COOK onions in oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
STIR in crushed tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
COOK pasta in salted water according to package directions; drain. Stir basil and parsley into prepared sauce. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Zesty Arrabbiata Sauce with Veal or Sausage: Add 1/2 pound lean ground veal or Italian sausage with the onions. Proceed with recipe as written.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 1g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.