Vegetable-Stuffed Green Peppers
- 3 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash cayenne
- 2 tablespoons prepared chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices Monterey Jack Cheese, (3-inches long x 1 1/2-inch wide)
- 1/4 cup water
HEAT oven to 350ºF. Cut each green pepper in half lengthwise to have six halves. Remove seeds and core. In large saucepan boil enough water to cover green peppers. Add peppers. Boil 4 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water.
HEAT oil in small skillet. Add green onion and celery. Cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Remove from heat. Place in medium bowl. Stir in rice, tomato, parsley flakes, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Fill green pepper halves with rice mixture. Place in 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
COMBINE chili sauce, ketchup, sugar and Worcestershire sauce in small bowl. Spoon over top of each filled green pepper. Top each with slice of cheese. Pour 1/4-inch water in bottom of pan.
BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/2 pepper, stuffed), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 630mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 5g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 100%, Calcium 25%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.