Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising Buttermilk White Cornmeal Mix
- OR 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- OR 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- OR 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray 8- or 10-inch heavy skillet or 8-inch square pan with no-stick cooking spray. Place skillet in oven to preheat.
COMBINE cornmeal mix, buttermilk, oil, egg and sugar, if desired. Mix well. Pour into skillet or pan.
BAKE 20 to 25 minutes for 10-inch skillet or 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch skillet or pan. Remove from pan and serve.
MUFFINS OR CORN STICKS
MUFFINS: HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray 12 muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray. Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
CORN STICKS: HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray corn stick pan with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven to heat. Fill pans 2/3 full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of cornbread), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.