Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
6 to 8 servings
- Crisco® Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 lb.) fresh whole chicken, giblets removed
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 6 to 8 small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 ribs celery, cut diagonally into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
HEAT oven to 375°F. Coat 9-inch square baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place breast side up in dish. Whisk olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil in small bowl. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons for vegetables. Brush chicken with half the remaining olive oil mixture. Roast 30 minutes.
COAT 13 x 9-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Combine potatoes, celery, carrots and onion. Toss with reserved 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil mixture until coated. Spread in single layer in prepared pan. Cover with foil.
REMOVE chicken from oven. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Baste chicken with remaining olive oil mixture. Place both dishes in oven when oven reaches 450°F.
ROAST 20 minutes. Remove foil from vegetables. Roast 10 minutes more or until chicken registers 170°F on meat thermometer and vegetables are tender. Allow to rest 10 minutes before carving.
CHICKEN BREASTS: Substitute 6 to 8 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 1/2 lbs.) for whole chicken.
SEASONING: Other dried herbs, such as oregano leaves or Italian seasoning, may be used in place of basil.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 200), Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 95mg, Sodium 550mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g), Protein 33g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 110%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.