- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 to 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pie filling, any flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, for frying
- OR Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, for frying
COMBINE flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with fork until particles are moistened and cling together. Form dough into ball.
ROLL to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into twelve 4-inch circles. Re-roll scraps as necessary. Place 2 teaspoons pie filling on each dough circle. Fold in half. Seal edges by brushing with water and pressing with fork. Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in bowl.
HEAT 1-inch shortening to 350ºF. in a deep saucepan or deep fryer. Fry a few pies at a time until golden brown, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve warm.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 140mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 7g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
simple but good
reminds me of old times and good times of eating fried pies
December 30, 2012