Falafel Sandwiches with Fire-Roasted Tomato Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Muir Glen® organic fire roasted crushed tomatoes (from 14.5-oz can), drained
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Minced Garlic
- 1 (16.3 oz) can Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 5 tablespoons Crisco® Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 1 (15 oz) can Progresso® chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Chili Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Roasted Coriander
- 4 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
To prepare aioli, place mayonnaise, tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of the minced garlic in food processor or blender. Cover; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat oven 350°F. Place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in food processor, place chick peas, onion, remaining 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, parsley, chili powder, turmeric, cumin and coriander. Cover; process, using quick on-and-off motions, adding flour 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is well blended.
With wet hands, form about 3 tablespoons chick pea mixture into 3-inch patty. Repeat to make 8 patties. In 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties in oil 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown.
Split biscuits; spread a generous tablespoon aioli on bottom half of each biscuit. Top each with patty, spinach leaves and top of biscuit.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2012 / McCormick and the Mc logo are registered trademarks of McCormick & Company, Incorporated, used by permission
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1 sandwich of 8), Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 3.5g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 770mg, Total Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 7g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 4%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.