Deep-Fried Garden Vegetables
4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, for deep frying
- Choose any combination of the following:
- Zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- Green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Large mushrooms
- Carrot, sliced into 1/8-inch pieces
- Sweet potato, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- Green or red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch stips
COMBINE 1 cup flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, milk and egg in medium bowl. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
MELT shortening to a depth of 2 or 3-inches in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Heat to 365ºF. Heat oven to 200ºF.
PLACE 1/2 cup flour in plastic bag. Add vegetables pieces a few at a time. Shake to coat. Shake off excess flour. Dip vegetable pieces in batter. Let excess drip off. Fry in shortening 3 or 4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn as needed for even browning. Drain on paper towels.
PLACE fried vegetables on heat-proof plate or pan in oven to keep warm until all vegetables are fried. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Serve immediately.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 320 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 560mg, Total Carbohydrate 40g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 5g), Protein 9g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 45%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.