Crispy Fried Okra
4 to 6 servings
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (16 oz.) package cut or whole frozen okra, thawed
- OR 1 pound fresh okra, sliced 1/2-inch thick or left whole
- Cocktail sauce for dipping (optional)
HEAT several inches of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven to 350°F.
COMBINE flour, black pepper, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in medium bowl.
POUR buttermilk into a shallow dish.
DIP okra in buttermilk; tap off excess. Dredge in flour mixture to coat well. Working in batches, carefully add okra to hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
REMOVE from oil; drain on paper towels. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with cocktail sauce for dipping if desired.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 15%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.