Creole Beans and Rice
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
DRAIN tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add enough water to reserved liquid to measure 2 cups. Pour into medium saucepan. Add rice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add green pepper, cumin, chili powder, basil and cayenne; cook and stir until green pepper is tender.
ADD tomatoes. Stir in cooked rice, beans, tomato paste to taste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Reduce heat to low. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 640mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 8g, Sugars 9g), Protein 9g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%, Vitamin C 70%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.