Creamy Salsa Bean and Rice Bake
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (15 1/2 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Green bell pepper slices (optional), for garnish
HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray a 2-quart casserole with no-stick cooking spray.
MELT shortening in medium skillet. Cook and stir onion and rice about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in beans, salsa, water, cottage cheese, salt, pepper and chili powder. Spoon into prepared casserole dish. Cover tightly.
BAKE 40 to 50 minutes or until bubbly and rice is tender. Cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with green pepper slices.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 730mg, Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 4g), Protein 12g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.