Classic Crisco Pie Crust
Crust for 1 pie
- SINGLE CRUST
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- DOUBLE CRUST
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 cup well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water
- DEEP DISH DOUBLE CRUST
- 2 2/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 cup well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 6 to 10 tablespoons ice cold water
BLEND flour and salt in large bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture using pastry blender or fork. Stir in just enough water with fork until dough holds together.
Test dough for proper moistness by squeezing a marble-sized ball of dough in your hand. If it holds together firmly, do not add any additional water. If the dough crumbles, add more water by the tablespoonful, until dough is moist enough to form a smooth ball when pressed together.
SHAPE dough into a ball for single pie crust. Divide dough in two for double crust. Flatten ball(s) into 1/2-inch thick round disk(s).
For ease in rolling, wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
ROLL dough (larger ball of dough for double crust pie) from center outward into a circle 2-inches wider than pie plate on lightly floured surface for the bottom crust. Transfer dough to pie plate.
For a SINGLE pie crust, trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edge under. Flute dough as desired. Bake according to specific recipe directions.
For a DOUBLE pie crust, roll disk for bottom crust, trimming edges of dough even with outer edge of pie plate. Fill unbaked pie crust according to recipe directions. Roll out remaining dough disk. Transfer dough carefully onto filled pie. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together to seal and flute as desired. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam. Bake according to specific recipe directions.
Pre-baking Pie Crusts (Cream Pies)
Thoroughly prick bottom and sides of unbaked pie dough with fork. Bake crust in lower third of oven, at 425°F, 10 to 12 minutes or until edges and bottom are golden brown.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/8 of crust), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 3g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 0g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.