Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 package mini smoked sausages, (about 48)
- Ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce and/or salsa
HEAT oven to 500°F. Spray a baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
COMBINE flour and cornmeal mix in large bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives just until mixture is the size of peas.
STIR in buttermilk and cheese until dough forms a ball. Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead dough by folding in half 5 to 7 times (do not overwork dough), adding just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands.
DIVIDE dough into 6 balls. Gently roll out each ball to 1/4-inch thickness (about a 6-inch circle.)
CUT each circle into 8 wedges using a pizza cutter. Place smoked sausage on large side of each wedge. Roll toward center. Place on prepared baking sheet coated.
BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce or salsa.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1 appetizer of 48), Calories 90 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 7g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 4%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.