Autumn Apple Cobbler
- 12 medium size tart apples
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, or favorite flavor
HEAT oven to 400ºF. Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Place in large bowl; add raisins and orange peel. Combine 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl; sprinkle over fruit. Mix well.
SPOON apple mixture into ungreased 2-quart oblong baking dish; dot with butter.
COMBINE 1 1/2 cups flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add 3 tablespoons milk; toss with fork just to moisten. Form into a ball.
ROLL pastry on lightly floured surface to 13 x 9-inch rectangle. Place over apples; flute edges. Brush with 1 tablespoon milk; cut slits to vent steam. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
BAKE 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1/12 cobbler only), Calories 330 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 55mg, Total Carbohydrate 57g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 38g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.