Empanadas de Carne
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 (14 oz.) packages frozen dough disks* for empanadas (20 disks)
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for frying
HEAT olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add yellow onion; saute until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add green onions and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Crumble beef into skillet, cooking over medium-high heat until browned. Stir in tomato paste, oregano, salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and pepper until well blended. Stir in olives and raisins. Spoon beef mixture into medium bowl; cover and chill until cold, preferably overnight.
ROLL each pastry disk into a 6-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Brush edges with water. Spoon 2 tablespoons beef mixture onto each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Using tines of fork, completely seal edges.
HEAT 1-inch vegetable oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry empanadas in hot oil 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
* Available in the Hispanic section of your grocer's freezer.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1 empanada of 20), Calories 280 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 380mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Empanadas de Carne
In Mexico, my mother use to make them, and my husband and I love them.
The only thing I miss is the green olives, it makes them lot's better. it givethem good flavor.
May 10, 2012