Caramel Apple Bars
4 dozen bars
You can be entered for a chance to win a . Click "Write a Review" above to get started.
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, plus additional for greasing pan
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups quick oats, uncooked
- 3 to 4 (about 4 cups) Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (14 oz.) bag caramel candies, unwrapped
HEAT oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with shortening.
COMBINE 3/4 cup shortening and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer; add egg. Beat until well blended.
MIX together 1 1/2 cups flour, salt and baking soda. Add gradually to creamed mixture. Add in oats. Mix until blended. Reserve 1 1/4 cups of mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes.
TOSS apples with 2 tablespoons flour and lemon juice. Distribute apple mixture evenly over partially baked crust. Press in lightly.
PLACE caramels in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) 1 minute. Stir. Repeat until caramels are melted. Drizzle melted caramel evenly over apples. Crumble reserved topping evenly over caramel.
BAKE 30 to 40 minutes, or until apples are tender and top is golden brown (do not overbake). Loosen caramel from sides of pan with knife. Cool completely. Cut into 1 1/2 inch bars. Cover tightly with plastic wrap to store.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size (1 bar of 48), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 65mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 11g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Caramel Apple Bars
apples and caramel how could you go wrong.not too many ingredients and not that hard to make.
April 7, 2013